There have been many, many times in my life where I get excited about certain things. I come up with all of these great ideas for what I want to do. It starts off great…and then it fizzles. I told my husband I wanted to launch a blog. I have a lot of things I love to talk about…and what better way to do that than to start a blog? His words were measured, but he expressed concern that I would start off with excitement and then let it fade away. Immediately I was offended. WHAT DO YOU MEAN I DON’T COMPLETE PROJECTS? I finished my Master’s! I set up my mom cave…and the only reason it’s not decorated is because I can’t find the furniture I like! (It didn’t even sound good in my thoughts) The paint job in the living room? Well, midway I decided I didn’t like the paint color. Even as I sat there rattling off different things I realized he’s right. It really hit me last week as I thought about how long it’s been since my last post. In theory starting a blog is easy. In execution…not so much. I do not have an official header. My page is basic as hell. I’m determined to fix this, but I recognize my own lack of urgency in doing this. Aesthetics aside, one has to be completely willing to be open and share. I typically like to hold things close, but I am on my countdown to 40 and I want to change the trend. I’ll get it together. This blog will be a representation of me (or a complete failure). Until then…I will sit back and push myself to do it because I hate when he’s right.
Random Facts about Me
- I still have a flip phone. Yes, this is true. It’s my choice dammit!!! And I hate text messaging. And no it’s not because my flip phone takes forever for me to text. I just hate text. And yes, it does take my flip phone forever to text.
- I was born with extra fingers. Wait, what? Yeah…you read it correctly. On both hands I had extra pinky fingers. The docs tied them up to cut off the circulation and they fell off. It was the 70s and I was all of a week old so I remember none of this. Around the age of nine or so I would tell people I suspected it was a result of my mother smoking while she was pregnant with me. Not sure why I ran with that, but I’m surprised I still have edges since she is good for snatching them.
- I’m kind of obsessed with 60s fashion and the 80s as a whole. I haven’t come to any conclusion as to why. It’s just a thing.
- Though I love to read; most of my reading enjoyment is in reading Young Adult novels. I read all types of books, but there is something about a Young Adult book that draws me in. (Yes, that includes stories about vampires who have beef with wolves and fallen angels)
- I’m socially awkward. I’m able to mask it at times, but for the most part I am uncomfortable in situations where the attention is on me. (Which sucks because I do a lot of presentations in my line of work) At a social gathering I’m most likely to be sneakily eating ALL of the buffalo wings, quesadillas, and deviled eggs.
- I have a super irrational fear of the brain eating amoeba that lurks in lakes. I have no plans to go splashing around in a lake…hell I’m more likely to get on an aircraft for a trip that orbits the planet 12 times (and I do not like to fly, but I am working on that this year) than I am to go swim…which brings me to the next random fact…
- Can’t really swim. Way to live up to that stereotype; right? Look, I took lessons twice as a kid and if I ever find myself in water I will be able to save myself, but do I count it as swimming? Not really.
Raven the (Random) Maven
Who Am I?
Married, mother of two … Nope, not gonna start like that. It’s the truth, but as women we often start off with our marital status and something along the lines of if we have previously carried a human in our uterus…as though we were nothing prior to the married/parental life. So, let’s try this again… I am a 39 (as of yesterday) year old woman who lives in The Great State and likes to chat about a little of everything. Books? Yup. Makeup? For sure. Current events? You already know. Society? That too. Fashion? Sometimes. Trials of parenting? Hell yeah! Politics? **Record scratch** It will come up, but I’m far from a political maven (see what I did?). So, in essence, I’m a little all over the place. I make my living by giving advice to high school students. I may even sneak in a little about that from time to time, but not too much. (Don’t want students finding me)
So, welcome. Come back often!
Raven the Maven
The countdown to 40 is on!!! Okay, so to be honest this website has been on my heart and mind to put together for years. I’ve always had a reason or two-hundred to not go through with it. I had a blog years ago and I felt it lost its direction. I should have stuck with it, but completing my degree became a priority. I was what professionals in higher ed like to call a “non-traditional” student. Meaning I was damn old as an undergraduate. I was already married with two sons when I finally completed my undergraduate degree. I wouldn’t trade that experience for anything. Well…maybe the winning Powerball numbers, but for the most part it was one of life’s most satisfying experiences. The look on my grandparents’ face was all I needed. My then seven year old looked at me like I was pretty damn cool, too. Of course he’s now 15 and not nearly as cute as he was when he was in elementary school. Anyway, I am in the process of putting together a nice list of things to do before I am 40. Now, look…keep in mind I work in education; as does my husband. So DO NOT suggest we go on a trip around the damn globe. Not happening. Plus I’m afraid to fly. Yeah…I know it’s ridiculous and I drive in one of the craziest cities in the U.S., but it’s my kind of crazy. Air travel makes me uneasy. The flights I’ve taken weren’t bad, but I’d prefer to not be on an airplane for longer than 5 hours. In addition to having an aversion to air travel, the bathroom situation concerns me as well. So now that you all know I will be 40 in exactly a year from today, completely unsophisticated in the ways of travel, and slightly off my rocker about bathrooms…this means we are family! Holla at me and give some suggestions.
Raven the (non-traveling) Maven